Wednesday 29 June 2011

Embroidered Clichés by Jilly Cooper, aka Lisa Bowen



"My work is kind of a celebration of failure: our faults, personal problems, and life's losers. I enjoy creating nostalgia around our funny quirks"
- via an interview with Lisa Bowen in The Spit Press, Issue 8



I love the quirky and crafty feel of this series by mixed media artist, Lisa Bowen...

"Once upon a time, I found a copy of The Penguin Book of Clichés and I got to thinking about these curious little collections of words and their origins.

I began to notice that I have a habit of dropping clichés into every single conversation. I began to “collect” these clichés as they appeared naturally in conversation, then I started preserving them - labouring over each letter as I stitched, then I framed each phrase. Every day more and more clichés pop up, and if I don’t write them down immediately, they’re gone. It’s like I’m catching cliché-butterflies, and stitching them down before they get lost!
We are so often told to “Avoid clichés like the plague”. Sometimes though, they are the only words that come to mind. For the verbally challenged of us, these words or phrases give us a voice and allow us to say - however clunkily - what we want to say."

Lisa was born in England, but recently moved to Australia. Check out more of her work on her site and her Etsy shop.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover